Since the Covid-19 pandemic, technology has become integral to business and customer interaction. With rapid digital transformation on the cards – and hundreds of technologies to choose from – business leaders are seeking help from experts. Many have turned to consulting, as a result. But what is tech consulting’s biggest strength? Essentially, it’s helping you find the right tech solutions that help you grow your business.
In fact, technology consultants have never been in more demand.
By providing specialized advice on tech strategies and solutions, they can be the difference between a business falling behind the competition or racing into the future.
Let’s explore tech consulting, including what makes it such a boon to businesses. We’ll look at:
- What is a tech consultant?
- What does a technology consultant do?
- How to choose a tech consultant?
What Is Tech Consulting
Tech consulting is the business of helping organizations best take advantage of technology to support their goals. It can include selecting, designing, developing, implementing, and managing technology solutions.
What is technology consulting useful for? Companies rely on consulting to:
- Reduce costs
- Create new revenue streams
- Streamline their operations
- Improve customer service
Keeping up with the latest technology trends is the bread and butter of computer consulting, and consulting firms are always looking for ways to help businesses grow and run more efficiently using technology.
In recent years, we’ve seen the rise of cutting-edge tech like AI, cloud, Internet of Things, blockchain, and data science. Tech consulting is at the forefront of leveraging the power of these technologies.
Why Technology Consulting Is Important for Your Business
Technology has become a major aspect of business success, and focusing on tech strategy is often the best way to drive growth, save time and money, eliminate risk, and streamline business processes.
Tech consulting can be thought of as a shortcut to accessing the expertise needed to keep up in the digital economy and make your business run better. A dedicated information technology staff can be inefficient and leave a business prone to stagnating, whereas a consultant is submerged in the world of technology and only charges you for the work they do.
Some of the areas where tech consulting can help your business include:
- IT infrastructure implementation: Most businesses today are powered by IT, and run on an intricate web of systems and networks. Tech consulting helps to bring these together in the most logical way so that your business operates at maximum efficiency.
- Software development: One reason to use tech consulting is to build the tools and features that will drive your business forward. Software can streamline your workflows and improve productivity.
- Cybersecurity strategy consulting: Keeping a business safe is more difficult in the digital age. Drawing up a solid IT security plan for your business is a major responsibility of tech consultants.
- Disaster recovery planning: Does your business have a plan B? Tech consultants can give you the peace of mind that outages and other IT situations out of your control won’t affect the bottom line.
What Is a Technology Consultant and What Do Technology Consultants Do
Tech consultants advise on many aspects of business technology, from strategic planning to hands-on IT implementation. They often work with business leaders to solve problems and figure out ways that technology can improve a business.
Wondering what does a tech consultant do? Responsibilities of technology consultants include:
- Developing and delivering IT solutions that are designed to make your business run better and encourage growth.
- Get you access to the best pricing and tech industry partners.
- Planning business-critical infrastructure implementations that help your business achieve digital transformation.
- Visiting your sites and speaking with your staff to understand business needs and recommend possible technology solutions.
- Educating you on new technology trends and presenting big ideas that could take your business to the next stage of growth.
Tech consultants typically stand out because of their excellent communication skills, technical know-how, business acumen, and ability to translate technical language into clear terms that executives understand. It is this unique skill set that makes tech consultants so valuable.
Choosing a Tech Consultant
Now that you know what tech consulting is, why it’s important, and what tech consultants do to help businesses, let’s take a look at how to choose the best consultant and how to avoid the duds.
Here are the main things to look out for when selecting a tech consultant:
- They keep things simple: A good tech consultant knows not to drown you in product demos and emails. It’s their job to take care of your IT so you can focus on growing your business. A tech consultant should go to lengths to make things easy to understand and respect your time.
- They’re partners first, tech consultants second: If a tech consultant is acting like a true partner that will stand by your business through thick and thin, they’re a keeper. They should assess your business needs and develop a deep understanding of your company before making recommendations.
- Their tech expertise is proven: A tech consultant needs extensive tech knowledge to be effective. Grill a tech consultant on their understanding of the latest enterprise-grade technologies and how they can best fit into your business to drive value.
- Give their customer service a trial run: If a tech consultant has wowed you in the pitch meeting, bring them in for a try-out period to get a feel of their approach to service. A good tech consultant will take time to truly understand your business needs, build relationships across your organization, and always be there with white-glove support.
- They give you inside access to deals and partners: The best tech consultants are well connected in the industry. If they’re coming to you with deals you can’t get on the street or introducing you to impressive partners, that’s a great sign.
Make Informed Decisions and Get the Best Deals
Select Communications’ tech consultants save customers an average of 43% on tech costs. It’s why 9 out of 10 companies choose the solutions and services we recommend.
Compare offerings from 300+ carriers and vendors to find the perfect solution for your business. Unlike other consulting firms, our advice is completely vendor-agnostic.